Tuesday, April 10, 2012

On the Hook for What?

Yesterday was the Twins home opener. For the last several years we've had a tradition of going to the game and yesterday was no different, it was also Abby's first year to come along. Fun (and freezing) family time. As we were leaving the stadium we passed several people holding up signs asking for help - 'VET', 'HOMELESS', 'OUT OF WORK', etc. Having worked downtown Minneapolis for eight years, this is not anything out of the ordinary for what I see every day. We happened to pass a young woman who looked incredibly sad and was holding a sign that said 'Husband died...' (it said more than that, but in my effort not to stare I missed the rest of it) and she was holding a bucket. We had just about passed her and Aaron burst out 'I want to give her something' and before I could turn around he was back by her placing some money into her bucket.

I'm a cynical Minnesotan. I've seen the 20/20 episodes featuring people like this young woman who after standing outside an event like that, proceed to walk a few blocks away and get in their Cadillac SUV and drive home to their beautiful home - and use this method of "making money" to fund their lifestyle at the expense of others' naive kindness. I've heard every story about men and women who use a 'sob-story' sign to tug at the heart strings of others, get their $ and then go buy more drugs and alcohol. I've heard it all. But for some reason, yesterday was different and I haven't been able to stop thinking about that 30 second experience.

Anyone who works with or for me knows that ACCOUNTABILITY is my non-negotiable for myself and for others. It's your ticket in the door. Be sure of what you are on the hook for, help others understand what they are on the hook for and deliver excellent results against those expectations. This is much easier to bring clarity to in the business world - but when it comes to the heart, and trying to hear God's voice - what I'm 'on the hook for' suddenly is blurry. Or isn't it?

I think that's what I've been going over and over again in my head regarding yesterday's interaction with that young woman. What am I on the hook for? Am I on the hook for teaching her a lesson by walking by and not even making eye contact? Am I on the hook for making eye contact and smiling, but not giving anything? Am I on the hook for putting a tract in her bucket when what she's asking for is money?

Am I on the hook for the content of my heart?

It's entirely possible that this young woman isn't even married, and will use the money she received yesterday to go out and party this week-end. But isn't it also entirely possible that she is a broken-hearted young woman who, out of pure desperation, is seeking the potential kindness of strangers to feed her two young children. If I attempt to answer this question in the Word I come upon phrases like: 'Do not judge, or you too will be judged' Matt 7:1 and 'whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me' Matt 25:39, and the list is endless. The interesting thing as I continue to dig - I don't find a checklist - if said brother or sister meets X, Y and Z criteria so that you know their need is legit - then do something. It sort of seems like Jesus is saying - "when you see a need, meet it. Let me do the rest." The bible is also super clear on judgement and all sorts of other things around holding not only us accountable for what we do when needs are presented, but for those who receive - what they do as well.

I'm not suggesting we all give every single time you see someone with a sign, I'm not even saying I'm going to strive to do that or that it's even the RIGHT thing to do. In fact, I think for me - the 'on the hook' part I'm going to take home from this thought process of mine is much more about the needs of those around me, which are often not even related to money. What I am saying is that I think some time spent thinking about what I'm personally 'on the hook for', as it pertains to the content of my heart, is time well spent. And, as far as yesterday goes...well, I'm thankful for a husband who did something. I don't know if it was some huge "GOD SPOKE TO ME" moment for him, or if it was simply seeing her eyes and in seeing her need, thinking about his own wife being alone and afraid and so as a husband, he acted. Regardless of the reason - his action spurred me to have a moment of self-examination...and I find those moments, while often wildly uncomfortable and uncertain, really good.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME WORDS!! I was the sames way...then when I began to change and grow with Christ. I knew my heart and asked God to change it. I remember thinking of when I will be before Him and my list of sins...(because thats how I think) and He tells me...You asked for me to give you those in need, and I did, and You passed by. I don't want to take that chance. I want Him pleased all the time, not when I think its legit. I want Him to know my heart is True. AWESOME AWESOME reminder! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read "Under the Overpass"? It's a great book and I think you'd like it. Mike Yankowski (the author) said at the Bridging the Gap conference, "Just because you don't look towards a homeless person doesn't make them invisible." Good stuff. Great blog, Jess.

    ReplyDelete